Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hedychium Longicornutum

Posted by hoosierbob 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 14:00

This is the second year I've had this plant and I'd forgotten it was a winter bloomer. I was surprised to find it developing buds several months ago. They took forever to open.

I know this forum doesn't see much activity these days, but thought I'd post anyway.

Hope everyone has a great growing season!
Bob in Indiana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hedychium Longicornutum

Bob, That is a gorgeous bloom, so unusual. How tall did it grow before the flower scapes formed? Nice to have winter flowers. Does it multiply well for you? Thanks for sharing. And you are dead on about this forum not being active. It was my favorite but I have read every post and not much new.
James in Florida

o

James,

The plant is only about 2' tall for me, growing in an orchid bark mix. I'm so used to the terrestrial hedychiums, that it seems really small. It has about two new shoots coming up right now, so I can't say I'm growing it that well. The old shoots stopped growing late last fall and sat there until buds formed at the tips mid-winter. It doesn't like the cold and I'm sure it would be a lot happier at your house!

Bob

o

• Posted by lac1361 z9a Lake Charles, LA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 8:53

Hedychium Longicornutum is an epiphyte. Bob, you've chosen the correct potting meduim. I've had this hedychium for years and it is a very reliable bloomer in the spring each year. It is one of the few hedychiums that carries no scent. It is very cold tender and likes some morning sun but doesn't like mid day sun. It's a real show stopper. Congrats on getting it to bloom.

Steve

o

I am looking to buy the Hedychium Longicornutum. Where do you buy your gingers? I'm also interested in the Red Torch Ginger.

Thank you for any help.

I am in Orlando, Fl zone 9B

o

• Posted by lac1361 z9a Lake Charles, LA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 16:40

i bought mine off of eBay. The seller is Alohatrading. In fact, right now he is offering one. This ebayer is from Florida I think. There is a nursery in California with a similar name, Aloha Tropicals. They usually have this hedychium in stock. I believe this is a solid zone 10 plant. I keep mine in a pot in the greenhouse during the winter.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here