Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hedychium 'Tahitian Flame'

Posted by grrrnthumb z8 WA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 08 at 15:52

I have 3 very small starts of this one & I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it. Especially hardiness, full-sun tolerance (they're variegated), and drainage/moisture requirements. Also would be interested in to know if anyone has any tips for overwintering them (I'm assuming it's not winter hardy in my wet zone 8a).
Many thanks!
- Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hedychium 'Tahitian Flame'

If you send me one of your starts, I'll give you some advice. LOL. Seriously, this is related to H. Dr. Moy and should have the same growth characteristics. I will give you my conditions here on the Louisnana Gulf Coast for Dr. Moy. It won't take the full sun of the south. Goes completely dormant in the fall after the first frost. Returns in the spring reliably. Last 5 years, our lows have been in the mid 20's a day or two each winter. I grow it in a southern exposure but I really think this ginger would be hardy to zone 8 or maybe 7 with lots of protection. Good luck with this one. By the way, where did you acquire this ginger. I would like to get some.

Steve

o

• Posted by geosdee Zone 8 FL Panhandle (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 30, 08 at 16:43

Steve,

I got mine from ebay. seller is beloved1 = Alice Harris from Karchesky Cannas and she has a website

Dee

o

Thanks Dee, I'll check that out.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here