Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non flowering ginger

Posted by ussatlanta (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 07 at 20:45

Does anyone know what the name of a non flowering ginger is?

alpinia.....

Thanks,

Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non flowering ginger

Could be tne name for any number of them if they're reluctant bloomers like mine, but in truth I doubt there's any variety that doesn't flower at some time where it originated. Or are you looking for one just for foliage perhaps, though the flowers are usually the main reason folks grow them? Even the oens grown for the well known ginger roots for culinary use will flower, and there are others grown for the seeds I believe. None that are supposed to be nonflowering though?

o

That's kind of what I thought. A lady donating plants for our garden fair said that it was a non flowering ginger. I never heard of it and wanted to be sure. We'll just call it a "unknown reluctant bloomer".

Thanks,

Cheryl

o

Alpinia nutans rarely blooms. Rub the leaves together. If it gives out a spice scent, that's probably it. I've had this ginger for 4 years, protected it during the winter and never seen a bloom. It's a shade lover and grows to about 3 or 4 feet.Incorrectly called cardamon. Hardy to zone 7.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here