Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jap373

Identification help, please!

jap373
18 years ago

Am trying to identify the ginger on the far right of this picture. Got this plant at a plant swap. Lady called it "red ginger". I'm guessing the flower is red, but the stems are red, too, so maybe that's why she called it that. Am wondering how tall it gets, what kind of light it likes, when it blooms, any pests, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Jane

Comments (7)

• LisaCLV
    18 years ago

Looks more like a Canna to me.

• Mantisia
    18 years ago

Looks like the website provider is blocking that link, or at least it was when I tried. Lisa may well be right, but if you want more opinions you may need to post the picture directly.

-Kyle

• jap373
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry the link didn't work for you. I am trying again using a different website. Let me know if you have trouble with this one...

The one I'm curious about is the red-stemmed plant in the forefront. There is a taller, green-stemmed ginger back against the fence.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:842515}}

• TimChapman
    18 years ago

I'll second the canna id. Not a ginger, but related of course.

Tim Chapman

• birdinthepalm
    18 years ago

I hate to say it , but without the flower, it would be very difficult perhaps for most enthusiats to identify the plant you've pictured. I'm more inclined to think it's actually a canna as well, since the leaves look wider than most gingers I've seen. However, I have seen some with very roundish leaves that are similar to canna leaves, so it's anyones guess. An expert might be able to tell you just from seeing the leaves, but best of luck finding one.

• daveandlaura
    18 years ago

Birdinthepalm -- (Looks from your profile like you're new around here; Welcome!!!) FYI, if Tim Chapman is not an expert he's very, very close. If you ever have ginger questions, get in touch with him!

Dave

• birdinthepalm
    18 years ago

Yes , I'm indeed new here, and sorry if I don't know everyone's specialties, and areas of expertise. No slight intended to Tim, Dave! And I do have plenty of questions about gingers as well, being that they're somewhat new to me, even though I've lived in California and Key West at different times. He might know about the "pups" I observed on my Costus barbatus several years ago. I guess my next challenge now is to find more "manageable" sized varieties , since many get much too tall for my low ceilings in my house. I'm thinking of ordering a Costus amazonicus , but that one may hit over six to eight feet tall and would be too tall ultimately for my ceilings. I just hated seeing my poor "barbatus" hitting the ceiling as the flower was formed and having to grow in a most contorted fashion to bend over instead of growing upright.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts