Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbielaw2

newbie to ginger

debbielaw2
16 years ago

If I buy ginger from the store is there anything I need to do to it for it to grow well? Have been thinking about it for a long time but was afraid to try it. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Deb

Comments (6)

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I planted a piece of ginger that I had purchased at the store to use for cooking. I didn't use it all so I decided the plant a piece of it and see if it would grow. I cut about a 2 inch piece and let the cut heal for a couple of days and then I planted it in a pot with some miracle grow potting soil. I planted it deep enough to just barley cover the rhizome. I only watered it lightly when I planted it and then not again until it started growing. It was probably about 5 or 6 weeks before it started growing but once it did it grew really fast. It is now about 3 feet tall. I will be putting it outside in a couple of weeks, then I expect it will grow even more.

Linda

• debbielaw2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you so much for the information was hoping it wasn't too hard sounds really easy. thanks again.
    Deb

• dieselboi
    15 years ago

Tropic Lover, I love that story. I have done the same with a piece of Basil from a Thai dish.

My question thought is how do you harvest? Or do you?

• barbara_muret
    15 years ago

I've been researching it... its supposed to be harvested in December - simply dig it up... cut off the eyes and place them in miracle grow or some medium to keep it from drying out (I put my experiment in a fabric bag and mist it once in awhile).

The you are supposed to plant the eyes in February (they say it needs to 'rest' for two months).

Unfortunately I live in zone 6/7 and they say this only works for the southern tip of Florida because it needs hot humid tropical weather.

I'm hoping to do mine with a heating mat and sunny window until out really hot weather gets here and just keep it well watered. I would have to harvest it early, but its a rhizome - so it shouldn't matter.

The other idea I had was to cover it with an old aquarium turned upside down for the early spring months if it wasn't too tall.

I am so fantastically encouraged by Linda!

Thanks Linda

• lilypond123
    15 years ago

I am new to ginger, but just bought a plump ginger root. How do you store it?

• bcskye
    15 years ago

Hi! I am a ginger newbie, too. I'm usually in the Harvest forum (and some of the planting vegetable forums), but I saw where one of the ladies there gave her method for candying ginger so went out and bought a large rhizom to candy. Left it in the plastic bag at room temperature and forgot about it. Well, I came across it today and it has at least 10 buds/eyes - some nearly as big as the end joint of my thumb. Well, that sent me to this forum to find out how to plant all those babies. Do I just cut off the bud and plant it or does it need more of the rhizom attached to the bud?