Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ginger & Turmeric for the first time

Posted by norma_fl z9FL (My Page) on
Wed, May 31, 06 at 16:30

Hi,

I had potted a store bought turmeric rhizome into a potting mix.I had kept it moist all the time for about 4 weeks now.The rhizomes are still plump and look good...but they have not yet sprouted.can anyone help me out and tell if i am doing something wrong or do they take much longer to sprout.?Also I have planted a few ginger rhizomes..bought from store too..so any advice on its care and how long does it take to sprout.

Thanks,
Norma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ginger & Turmeric for the first time

Hi Norma:

Turmeric as many other gingers have a long season where all the folliage wilts and dies and the tubers remain dormant for several month (maybe six month or so). My turmeric tuber sprouted about a month ago. So my recomendation is be patient, it may take a mont or so for it to start sprouting. Keep them moist but avoid overwatering so they won't rot. My experience has been they are very easy to grow and produce a lot in a period of one year.

Hope that may be of help...

cocomo

o

Thanks Cocomo...actually did not expect anyone to reply back..so did not check back for a long time.Just as you said it took a few more weeks from the time i started this thread...but both my ginger and turmeric have sprouted.Infact all 3 of my turmeric roots have sprouted and have gorgeous long leaves and the plants are about a foot tall.It was absolutely exciting to see these things come to life after a long time.

Btw what location do you plant them ? Is full shade fine.Also plant them in 5 gallon coantainers or in the ground.Do they survive the winter in Z10 or do they die back?

Thanks ,
norma

o

Hi again:

I plant my turmeric in partial sun / partial shade. Or bright shade. Not in full shade. I have planted mine so far in 1 to 3 gallon containers and they have grown fine. They do survive perfectly here without any mulching. But the folliage, as i said, always dies and the tuber gets dormant for several months.

o

Thanks so much cocomo.Appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here