Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Blue Ginger

Posted by cocomo z10 / PR (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 7:13

Hi Everyone:

I know "Blue Gingers" (Dichorisandra thyrsiflora)are not true gingers but if anyone has info on this I will really appreciate your input. I have one of these plants. It was growing in a pot for about 2 years. I finally removed it to transplant it to the ground and found several "tubers" attached to the roots that were bean-shaped (never had seen tubers like these)in sizes of 1-1/2" to over 2" long by about an 1" wide. Any how has anyone seen these kind of "tubers" in this plant before. And will they grow a new plant if I bury them at a new site? Any special instrucctions on how to plant these?

Thank you for reading and for sharing your knowledge.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Blue Ginger

I have seen these 'tubers" on this plant and a few others. I leave them on the plants when I transplant. The plant seemed to slow down growth when they are removed. Nothing grew for us from them when they were removed and planted, but I read somewhere that they will make new plants.
-Gwenn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here