Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tyrithe

Too much shade for Hedychium?

tyrithe
18 years ago

Hi all,

I'm thinking of putting some hedychium behind my house. The spot I'm looking at gets sun from about 11am - 2:30pm. After that, the area (I think) would fall under the category of bright shade until about 5pm. Would this be enough light to get blooming plants?

Comments (6)

• birdlady_liz
    18 years ago

Hi tyrithe,
    I live in central Florida and have close to 200 varieties of gingers in my collection and grow almost all in the conditions that you are describing and they bloom wonderfully, I think most people grow them on too much sun. What hedychium do you have? Hope this has helped some.
    Liz (leneobrien@aol.com)

• tyrithe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Liz,

I actually don't have any yet. I was evaluating a space I have available because I wanted to plant one (Or more).

• tyrithe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Now I wish there was an edit ability for posts.

Another question I have is where would be a good place (either in the Atlanta area or online) to find these? I'd be more interested in the white flowered one (coronarium i think?)

• birdinthepalm
    18 years ago

I guess the farther south you go , the brighter your shade is and the the more you need shade for some plants that are supposed to "like" sun. Seems I saw a show about some Alpinias from a Costa Rican flower grower , who exports the large showy blooms of his "red gingers" etc., and they have theirs planted both in almost full sun and in another location in almost complete shade. The ones in the shade were almost twice as tall as the ones in the sun and had "obviously" "stretched" in the lower light, as is common for plants growing in less than ideal light. The surprising thing is that the shade ones flowered as well as those in the sun despite the extreme "strecthing" and normally with that much stretching it means the plant doesn't even get enough light to flower correctly. I've tried growing my costus barbatus in full sun in the north , and they have a tendency to burn easily in the full sun , while those in dappled shade seem to grow quite well, even though the directions for those says they like lots of sun. I must say however with our short summer and growing season, I've not had either the ones in sun or in the shade flower to prove , which they might prefer. I think if others are having good results with flowering even in "part" sun, you shouldn't have any problems with the same conditions.

• birdlady_liz
    18 years ago

We've actually been thinking about bringing gingers to the Atlanta area, maybe even to the farmer's market bt the airport, since we drive through that area several times a year.
    Liz

• tyrithe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Liz,

If you do that, please let me know when you'd be up this way. I'd have to make sure I had the time to get down there, since I'm on the opposite side of Atlanta

Sponsored