Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small leaved spiral ginger

Posted by costaricafinca Costa Rica (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 26, 06 at 15:38

Out there, hopefully, is a collector of Costus or Gingers that can give these two plants a name.
The first one has very small leaves, for a ginger.
The second has a trunck, with branches going off of it. The third photo is a close view of the stem/trunk.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Costus photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small leaved spiral ginger

I think your 2nd one might actually be a Tapeinochilus??

Are you interested in trading cuttings/plants of both of them for any other gingers?

o

It is very difficult to to Customs, to ship any plants without out approval in/out of Costa Rica.Sorry!
I have also been advised to wait until a bloom appears to name them.

o

The first photo looks like Costus Stenophyllus (Bamboo Ginger), native to your Costa Rica, but reportedly becoming somewhat scarce in the wild. If the picture is that of Stenophyllus, it will get several feet tall and the stems have alternating bands of either green/brown with red or dark brown. This particular Costus blooms from the base. I don't recognize the second plant in the second and third photo.

Steve

o

The first is a Costus, but it doesn't look like C. stenophyllus to me, the leaves are too wide. It's hard to say which one it is without a bloom, though. Does it stay small like that or is it just a young plant?

The second is Dichorisandra thyrsiflora, or Blue Ginger, which is not really a true ginger at all, but a relative of the Wandering Jew.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here