Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what did i purchase?

Posted by jeff_al 8 AL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 15:40

hello-the-house from a first-time poster on this forum.
i purchased two plants from the kanapaha botanical garden in alachua/gainesville, florida (usda zone 9)area this weekend.
the attendant there told me that they should be root hardy in my area (zone 8, east central alabama) with heavy mulch.
best i can tell, the plant labeled "variegated costus" might be Costus amazonicus variegata and the one labeled
"blue ginger" is Dichorisandra thyrsifolia.
my question is: can i expect them to survive in the ground here and, if so, will they flower?
the variegated costus would be a garden worthy subject even if it doesn't flower.
if anyone has another thought on what costus species this might be, please comment.
thanks in advance,
jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what did i purchase?

I'm in North Florida and both came thru for me this winter. It was a mild winter of course, but I mulched well. I have not had blooms yet but if I'm going to this should be the year. Good luck!

o

I'd expect them to not survive but it depends on where in Al. you live. If the ground freezes where you live, I'd not expect it to survive.
Both are rootable from stem cuttings.
kevin
p.s. my grandmother used to grow Hedychium coronarium in Montgomery and covered with with pine straw in winter.
kevin

o

Jeff, I can't speak to either of the kinds you listed, but I can say that Hedychium coronarium survives in zone 7 in B'ham w/o any extra assistance whatsoever from my next-door neighbor. They have 8-ft stalks of weeds growing so you know they don't mulch. They people have lived there for 7 or maybe 8 yrs so I can't imagine that all of those winters have been incredibly mild....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here