Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Variegated Ginger

Posted by sandi_w 7b/8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 16:34

I just bought this ginger, know nothing about it, and can't find it on google. Can someone please tell me about it? Size, light requirements? Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Variegated Ginger

It was sold to me as a ginger, but might be a Stromanthe

o

• Posted by lac1361 z9a Lake Charles, LA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 8:59

It is Stromanthe Sanguinea "Triostar". It is listed as hardy to zone 9b but I've been growing this plant outdoors for years. It's almost croaked a few times from a nasty 22 degrees freeze that we had two winters in a row a few years back. It likes shade. It needs water on a regular basis even if planted in the ground.

Steve

o

Thanks Steve. I have the perfect spot for it. It might not live though the winter for me, but I'm going to try.

o

• Posted by lac1361 z9a Lake Charles, LA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 10:43

Throw an old blanket over it when the temperatures get below 30.

Steve

o

Thanks Steve. I've been googling it and have hope that it will survive here as it has in other zone 8s.

o

They're quite an attractive plant. I've got a couple that have been flowering. Far from a spectacular flower, but still interesting.

o

tropicbreezent, I haven't seen one in flower yet. I'll have to google that. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here