Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zingiber hardiness

Posted by Anakaleki z9 S.E. Tex (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 28, 04 at 17:45

Hi, I bought a Zingiber ginger last year with purplish green leaves and I want to know how hardy it is. I kept it in the garage last winter where it went dormant and is now coming back. Will it have any problems with rotting if it is planted in a moist/occasionally soggy area? It's in a big pot with its rhizomes totally covering the surface of the soil so would it be a good idea to divide it?, I'm afraid if I do, the peices will not get very big stalks this year. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zingiber hardiness

You didn't say what kind of zingiber. But soggy is not good. It will rot in the winter. Divide it now so it has a chance to recover before winter. Plant some in the ground in well drained soil. Keep a few in a pot in the garage just in case. The best way to find out how hardy it is is to experiment. But some winters it may survive and some it may not. Depends on how cold and wet it stays and for how long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here