Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amytasgarden

Curcuma Zedoaria

amyta
18 years ago

Can anyone tell me about this? I purchased a pot at a local farmer's market and I'm afraid to plant it in the ground after doing some research. Does it take over? Can I just keep it in a pot? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• LisaCLV
    18 years ago

You can keep it in a pot but it doesn't seem to want to bloom unless it has room to spread out. Nice foliage though.

• GAAlan
    18 years ago

I grew this plant in the ground several years ago. It survived the first winter but not the second. I really loved the red stripe in the middle of the leaves. I have tried various Curcumas over the last 8 years and none have shown even the slightest hint at being invasive. At least in my area, I'd be surprised if they were hardy enough to ever become invasive.

• curdog007
    18 years ago

I love the curcumas; however, the eletea and domestica are very invasive at least in my yard. They are all around my potting bench and over in the woods where I dump the culls. It's kinda of like drowning in ice cream. I have some beauties!
    Lynn

• salt_cedar
    18 years ago

Thanks to Dave Skinner I have two very nice clumps with thick juicy looking rhizomes. So can I use these in a curry or something?

Thanks
    chris

• amyta
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This isn't the type you cook with. These just have pretty foliage and beautiful flowers. Start with a rhizome from the grocery store to get the cooking kind.

• salt_cedar
    18 years ago

The Study of Zingiberaceae in Thailand, by Puangpen Sirirugsa - Curcuma zedoaria Rosc. Distinguished characters.- The rhizome pale yellow or white inside. The coma bracts dark red to purple. Thailand.- NORTHERN: Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai; EASTERN: Nakhon Ratchasima, CENTRAL: Saraburi; SOUTHEASTERN: Trat. Distribution.- India (Himalaya), Southeast Asia. Uses.- Young rhizome is eaten as vegetable soup. Rhizomes are used in relief of stomachache and as a carminative. It is also used in perfumery. Leaves are used for flavoring fish and other food.

• amyta
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I'll be darn. Live and learn!

• nmgirl
    18 years ago

This species was popular during the Middle Ages-Rennaissance, it was called "zoary". It was used medicinally and for seasoning food. You'll stumble across it from time to time in old "receipts".

Sponsored