Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ginger How-to please!

Posted by camikins 7.5 (Pacific N.W.) (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 13, 04 at 20:17

Hi:

I purchased some organic ginger at my local healthfood store, cut it and planted it 'bud-side' down into some soil about three weeks ago. So far, no action.

Is this normal? How long does it take before growth should appear?

I'm not sure what variety of ginger it is. The soil is a standard starter / seedling soil.

Thanks.

Cam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ginger How-to please!

I am no expert, but if the buds were planted a half inch deep, facing skyward, it would take less time to reach the surface, before the energy ran out in the tuber. Also, soil temp should be about 75-80f and moist to on the drier side, not wet. If they do not appear soon, dig into the soil and give it an inspection if all looks ok,(not rotted=mushy) recover them and hope for the best, if not dispose of them and start over with a fresh chunk...... good luck.

o

I have been able to grow Ginger from non-organic ginger from the grocery store, but it got really leggy, then brown and died out; no flowers of course cuz it stayed pretty small. Did I not have it planted deep enough, or????? What size pot should I have started in (I tried a 6"). Really curious about growing ginger this way, it was sure fun to try and would be even better if it was successful, lol...~Friday~

o

Growing edible ginger from store bought rhizomes is easy (fresh rhizomes are needed, organic vs normal means nothing as far as success rate goes), you just need to give them the right growing conditions. My article linked below covers most of what you need to know. still overdue for the promised photos to accompany it, but that'll come soon.

Tim Chapman

Here is a link that might be useful: growing edible ginger

o

Tim's link is great. But just to reply to friday, were you growing it indoors? It was probably too dark and the soil was too wet. Tim's faq will help you if you try again.

-Kyle

o

Thanks for all the replies. Very useful. Oh, and Tim - thank you for the link. Very informative! I'll visit often.

Cam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here