Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Butterfly ginger, seed harvesting?

Posted by seedynanna (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 20:27

Hi to All

I have a good clump of white butterfly ginger which blooms well but just cannot find any seeds to harvest. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Seedynanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Butterfly ginger, seed harvesting?

Hi-
You would know if you had seeds- where the flowers were, there would be red seed pods that open when ripe. The seed pods will only form if the flowers are fertilized- this might not have happened to your flowers.
-Gwenn

o
RE: White Butterfly ginger, seeds

Hi Again-
Maybe it is a yellow pod with red seeds- I forget- but it is quite obvious if you have seeds!
-GWenn

o

They are so very enthusiastic about making new rhizomes I think the seeds would be kind of unnecessary to the plant. Many plants that multiply vigorously don't bother to make seeds. I probably have enough to plant the whole town, and I don't recall seeing seeds--maybe a few once or twice.

o

You can hand-pollinate the flowers if you want seeds, but otherwise this species is not a big seed-setter.

Hedychium pods are usually greenish yellow on the outside but they split open when ripe, revealing bright orange insides with red seeds. As Gwenn says, you'd definitely notice it if you had any!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedychium seed pod

o

Please show photo of white ginger seeds on the plant. I think that is what I have

o

Just google image search Hedychium coronarium and look at the flowers. Many species and hybrids have similar looking seed pods and seeds so search for a seed picture can be misleading for IDing your plant.

Tim Chapman

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here