Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
still waiting on a sign

Posted by Joan_in_AL 7AL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 21:14

I ordered ginger roots.. it has been a month.. are they still alive? How long does it take them to root?
it was Hawaiian pink ginger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: still waiting on a sign

who did you order from?
Lynn

o

Did you get a plantlet with foliage or a bare-root rhizome? How big? Pink Ginger (Alpinia purpurata) doesn't have a dormancy, at least not in Hawaii, and it doesn't have the same kind of fleshy running rhizome that, say, a hedychium has, so I'm trying to picture how it was sold to you if it wasn't an actively growing plant. The little plantlets (aerial offsets from the inflorescence) should root readily, but there's not really much rhizome there, so if it looks dead, it probably is. If, however, what you got looked like a big chunk of stem with a swollen base and the foliage cut back, it might take a bit longer to see some action. As long as the stem still looks firm, it's probably still good. I'd give it at least another month, and if you don't see anything happening by then you might have to unpot it and investigate. It should at least be putting out some roots, even if you haven't seen a new shoot yet.

o

Joan,

Did you ever find any roots?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here