Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjlinva

growing ginger in zone 7

rjlinva
15 years ago

I've been fascinated with tropical gingers for a couple of years now. And, a couple of summers ago I was at a local nursery and picked up about 6-8 different gingers...most unlabeled and therefore on clearance...although I believe I have white butterfly and dr. moy in the mix. This year I've added the variegated shell ginger. I'm also going to try the culinary ginger.

Well, mine have been in the ground and have come back through two winters. I've got some growing in full sun, others in partial sun, some in shade. They look healthy, but I didn't get any blooms last year, and they don't seem to be expanding very much. Do they need time to develop a good clump before they bloom? Is patience the key?

There does not seem to be much information about growing gingers in zone 7. I feel like a pioneer. I would like to hear from others who are trying gingers in this zone and what kind of successes or failures you're experiencing.

Is there a good source, either book or online, that breaks down the different "classes" of gingers for the novice? I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Robert

Comments (4)