Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is all ginger edible?

Posted by cougiecat 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 10:13

I recently bought a home with several ginger plants. While weeding one of the beds I pulled up some of the root and it smelled *wonderful*. Would it be ok to use it in cooking or are there some poisonous gingers? Is it ok to harvest a portion of the root at any time or should I only harvest during specific times of the year?

The yard has quite a few edibles, so there is a chance these are plain culinary ginger anyway, but I don't want to try unless I'm sure it won't kill me :P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is all ginger edible?

Hi, not all Ginger is edible and some could make you sick, If you could post a photo of it,I'm sure some one could ID it for you. I would guess that it might be a type of flowering ginger most of which are not edible.
George W. Z5-6 MO.

o
Ginger Picture

My camera is kaputz right now, but I found this picture online. The flowers look like mine. The site with the picture didn't really confirm that it was culinary ginger, just that it was a ginger flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginger Flower

o

Hi that variety is not edible, I have the same thing growing in some pots. There is a website that talks quite a bit about Ginger varieties and touches on some of the edible one. If you want to grow some of the edibles ones you can start buying some rhizomes from the market. I have a few that are groing in large pots and I harvest enough each year to keep me in plenty of ginger. There are some gingers that the seed pods are used as a spice, but I can't remember all their names.
George W. Z5-6 Mo.

o

George - you're thinking of Cardamom or Cardamon. As far as I know they never bloom anywhere outside of the tropics, but their leaves do give a nice spicy scent to foods or rice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here