Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caribbean Dominica

Posted by robob35 z5MA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 17, 06 at 10:39

I just got back from vacation, and one of our stops was Dominica, where the new johny Depp movie was filmed. We went up into the rain forest and ginger was growing all over the place, it was practically a weed. Most of it was red ginger, but I saw some other colors as well. Look for it in the new movie.

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caribbean Dominica

Most of them are exotics from Asia, some being very invasive when planted outside there original habitat. In Costa Rica you find Alpinia purpurata (red ginger), Zingiber spectabile (beehive ginger) and others growing in the forest far from where they were first planted, and displacing some beautiful natives. The only native gingers in the New World are Costaceae (Costus and Dimerocostus) and a Zingiberaceae that looks somewhat like an Alpinia - called Renealmia.

Dave Skinner
www.gingersrus.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here