Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaf burn on Hedychium?

Posted by nealzibub So-Cal (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 10:47

Hi there,

I have a butterfly ginger that is shaded in the morning and late afternoon, but unfortunately gets full sun for a few hours around noon. Anyway, the bottom leaves, slowly around the edges first turn yellow, then brown, and it just slowly moves in from the edge. I've already removed four or five leaves from the bottom up, and it just keeps moving up. It almost is like a salt-burn...Is it from the hot sun? Or maybe from the sandy, probably alkaline soil that I have? I'm thinking it would prefer more peat and organic matter in the soil. Thanks for any advice.
NWG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaf burn on Hedychium?

Hi,

About how much water dose it get?

o
RE: leaf burn on Hedychium?

I water it once to twice a week depending on temps and heat, and I also try to mist it on hot afternoons, but again that is only if I happen to be around and thinking of it...and of course San Diego is not known for it's great water quality. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here