Posted by hoosierbob 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 11:03

One of the first to bloom, in a pot on the patio...... Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hedychium rubrum in bloom

• Posted by lac1361 z9a Lake Charles, LA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 14:24

I like this ginger. You must have acquired it from Tim Chapman here in Louisiana (Gingerwood Nursery). He's the only person I know that sells this ginger. I tested its hardiness this winter. Our low was 19 and we were below freezing 24 straight hours. It is back but very late. No signs of blooms yet though.

Steve

o

Hey, Steve...thanks for checking this forum! Not much traffic lately. You are right, I got it from Tim Chapman at Gingerwood Nursery. I put it in a greenhouse and it's at 55 degrees from December to February, but it stays green. It seems like it was one of the first to start growing when it got warmer. It's smaller sized, but seems really vigorous and has four shoots with buds right now. The only other thing blooming for me is Daniel Weeks, which is usually early, also. Bob

o

• Posted by lac1361 z9a Lake Charles, LA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 8:49

I don't have Daniel Weeks but I am growing a couple of dozen other Hedychiums, and about 50 different gingers in all covering Curcumas, Costus, Kaempferia, Globba, Alpinia, Burbidgea, and Zingiber. They are all hardy in my zone in the ground. Of course, in winter they all go dormant and there are large section of my flower beds that are void of anything but come late spring and summer, everything fills out. The only hedychium that is blooming for me is Elizabeth, but the others are not far behind.

Steve

o

Bob do you have any rhizomes of this plant you are willing to trade?

o

I just got this last year, so I'm not ready to divide it yet.

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here