Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing hedychium

Posted by AuroraWA 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 18:17

I have a few of these in a 10 inch deep 4 foot long 1 foot wide rectangular planter. I am trying to grow them successfully, however, information is conflicting. They seem to be healthy, for now.
My question: Full sun/part sun or shade? There seems to be a ton of conflict over this. I am sure this has been answered, but with a baby and work, I don't have time to dig through the forum.
Thanks in advance! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing hedychium

I grow all of my hedychiums in pots and they're outside for the summer, but in a greenhouse in the winter. I have grown them in half day sun, and some in full sun. Most of them do well either way as long as they never dry out.

Having said that, it does depend on which ones you have. I have found that greenii likes at least half-day semi shade and coronarium seems to like that, also. Some of the hybrids, like Anne Bishop, with tougher (thicker) leaves will take more sun. If the leaves curl under or start to bleach out, move them to a brightly lit area with some direct sun morning and/or evening, but no direct sun during the hottest part of the day. I have grown Anne Bishop in full sun all day, but it was watered daily and never dried out. It bloomed on every stalk that year at 4 feet, which was pretty nice. In semi-shade it also does well, but has darker green foliage and gets taller.

I guess overall, I'd try your planter in half day sun with bright shade in the afternoon. If your leaves aren't curling up or bleaching out, they're probably happy. You need to keep them moist and I use liquid fertilizers to get the fastest growth and bloom. I usually put them in as much sun as they'll tolerate for fastest growth, but don't move them around continuously. You'll need to pick a spot and let them get acclimated before you make a judgment about moving them.

Good luck!

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here