Posted by ctbig z7 nw-ms (ctbig64@aol.com) on
Sun, Jul 11, 04 at 22:00

hi,
just wanted to know if red pinecone ginger is hardy in zone 7
thanks, carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ginger hardiness

Some people consider it a "native" in zone 8 (I kid you not) I think it will easily do Zone 7 with a mulch

o

I don't know much about growing ginger but I have several red pinecone lillies that I brought with me when we moved a little over 2 years ago. They flurished at our old house and were beautiful. Since we have been at the new house they have come back every year but they start out nice but their color by this time has started turning yellow. They also don't produce the same amount of pinecones either. What am I doing wrong. Am I giving them to much sunlight? The are in full sun. At the old house they were in the shade. Have also planted another type of ginger and it seems to be having the same problem. I love the smell of ginger but I am at a loss of what to do. Help please

o

Pinecone ginger do not do well in full sun. Mine thrive in shade. When part of the clump wandered out of the shade line of my oak, I noticed this part wilted when the sun got on it. I recommend moving the clump into a shay spot. They also like to be kept moist.
Brad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here