Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgew79

Wanted: Heliconias or unusual Flowering Gingers

georgew79
17 years ago

Hi all, I've posted before I'm hoping to find a heliconia rhizome or two, I would like a nice lobster Claw type like H. Splash or Hot Rio Nites, but will take any generous offer, I live on a small disability check and have been planting out a tropical garden for a woman who has cancer, so I'm pretty much tapped out and don't have much to trade. I can how ever pay the postage and maybe for the Rhizome if you are not asking for much. If you can help me out please email me at my yahoo address. Thank You and have a great season.

George W. Z6 Mo.

Comments (5)

• bihai
    17 years ago

I shouldn't have to point out the obvious to you, which is, in zone 5 or zone 6, you don't have a chance in Hades of getting any heliconia to grow and bloom in a garden "planted out" for anyone. And you aren't asking for cheap plants here. Heliconia champneiana "Splash" is one of the more hard to locate and EXPENSIVE heliconias, and also one of the finickier types. It isn't all that well suited to container culture either. "Hot Rio Nights" (also known as Dimitri Sucre) gets WAY too big for either someone with cancer or someone with a disability to manage.
    I sympathize with you and what you are trying to do, but it just ain't gonna work.

• georgew79
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello bihai, So even with protection they won't grow, Huuum... I been told something to that extent before and was able to grow the plants in my green house and still have them after 5 years now. I may just buy one and see, if it dies it will just be my loss.
    Thanks for your info though.
    George

• bihai
    17 years ago

So you aren't actually planting them out for a cancer victim, they are actually for YOU and your greenhouse?

• georgew79
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi bihai, yes I am planting them for Kathy who has cancer, but I would like some too for myself as I have pretty well used up all my own plants, I planted her some Passifora's a few white butterfly gingers rhizomes, some cannas, various hardy hibiscus. I'm down to just a few passion vines and some hibiscus that I grow.
    I thought I could plant the Heliconias in a large 30gal. container for her and move them inside for her if need be, she lives just down the road from me. I have a small green house and also move some of my plants inside to a extra room. I posted that I have been wanting some for myself also, if you will back read my post some, besides planting some for her. I can still trade a Passiflora foetida some hardy hibiscus seeds, and some rare Bolivian pepper seeds although I didn't post them, I'm not trying to put anything over on any one, if you think that is what I'm doing, I did say that I would be glad to pay the postage if it wasn't to much, and I did say that I was hoping to get some for myself. I don't understand what is wrong with that. George W. Z6 Mo.

• gaza
    17 years ago

i sympathize too,but like bahai said,unless you have a greenhouse with at least a 12 feet high roof,they are not going to work
    maybe try smaller strictas,like dorado gold,or sharonii.
    beleive me these plants get HUGE!!

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH