o
What is this ginger?

Posted by AnnaFL z10a FL (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 05 at 1:04

The new foliage is pink. Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this ginger?

Definitely a Costus. Are the undersides of the leaves a maroonish color?

o

Minibim, the undersides of the leaves are green. It was a new plant this year and it's just getting going. I find it very attractive so far. It's had a rough life so far. The dog broke its first stem, then grasshoppers ate most of the second stem. It is just now starting to gain strength.

o

Are the leaves "fuzzy" underneath? The leaf looks like C. speciosus to me and if the leaves are "fuzzy" underneath that could make it C. speciosus.

I am at a loss as to why the new leaves are coming in pink, personally I have never seen that in any of mine.

o

Minibim,

No the leaves are not fuzzy underneath. I bought it from Dave Skinner, but I can't get a hold of him. It is supposed to have pink new growth, and it does. Quite pretty. Does have the same habit as costus speciosus, but lost the tag. Thanks for trying to help.

o

Anna just sent me an email about this - I had not noticed her question here on Garden Web. It is Costus globosus, an Asian Costus that has basal blooms. More information and photos on my website at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Costus globosus on GingersRus website

o

Thanks, Dave.

I couldn't get through to your email from your website. Yesterday I noticed you were actually in my address book and I emailed you from there!

I hope I can record this in a safe place. Thank-you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here