Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kabby_z8

Aloha Tropicals

kabby_z8
17 years ago

I try very hard not to jump on the bandwagon with the majority. I have read the feedbacks on Garden Watchdog, but unfortunately did not before I ordered a few yrs ago. Has anyone on this forum gotten a correct order from them? My Tac Moto is a Kahili, my Beni Oran is ???? others are questionable too. They were emailed when the gingers first bloomed but I got no response like others on the Watchdog. I just need to vent a little as the gingers are blooming now and although they are beautiful, THEY ARE WRONG!

Comments (16)

• birdlady_liz
    17 years ago

I've never ordered from them but know others in the trade and no one gets what's in the pictures. I was going to buy a couple of years ago and add to my collection (214 now) and was warned not to, I wouldn't get what I was expecting. I have even spoken to him on the phone, he wanted me to grow some things for him, but I don't need the bad rap.
    Liz

• orchidboy01
    17 years ago

I must say I have been ordering from Aloha for about 3 years now. I have yet to see any bloom? But have always been happy and have only lost one item. I guess I will wait to see if they are the correct plants. Robert

• birdlady_liz
    17 years ago

Robert,
    (hope I'm right) small world, bloomerliz here. What have you had for 3 years that still hasn't bloomed for you? The only thing we've bought (not from Aloha) that's taken 3 years were these 'freeze dried' rhizomes that came from Thailand, otherwise any divisions or even tissue babies have bloomed by the second spring/summer. So when are you coming up to the Ocala area to see my gingers?
    Liz

• gaza
    17 years ago

have to add my 2 cents worth
    have always had good results from alohas,BUT,many of his pictures are wrong!
    have told him many times,and he seems to have a hard time with his website guy.
    i told him to get rid of him!!
    i told him,that many people who buy from him,know what they want,and never look at the pics,but many people dont know the plants,and so rely on the pic.
    which after 2-3 years of waiting,only to find a totally different bloom,is frustrating at the least.
    in his defence,he is a one man opperation,who is swamped at the very least,so bare with him

• steve_nc_7b
    17 years ago

I don't care if he is a oneman show or not. I've ordered twice from him and both times, I didn't get what I ordered. I've emailed him both times with no reply. Never again, Aloha Tropicals is a joke! Unbelievable!

• steelviper
    17 years ago

I agree. I got a very small,poor shape rhizome from them. It died on my on 2 weeks.Joke!

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

If overwhelmed with internet orders probably sending out runts to meet demand. May have gone from hobby business to one needing a major expansion in one leap.

Another thing is that gardeners in Hawaii seem to be even less inclined to adopt botanical names than those in other states. If there is a true-to-nameness problem with this outlet it might at least be partly due to the arena they are operating in. Over there you have a three level naming system for plants, consisting of Hawaiian names, non-Hawaiian common names and botanical names. Many gardeners may not get beyond the first level (Hawaiian common names) very often.

• birdlady_liz
    17 years ago

actually Andy moved to California a few years ago.
    Liz

• christaylor
    17 years ago

I purchased several different plants and seeds from Aloha orchids and brought them home the next day hand carried on the flight home.Nothing lived past two weeks The plumera's were falling over and rotting brown inside, the bamboo orchids never did anything even after 9 months, the vanda's were turning brown with in a week and completely died as I later found out from a virus, the bird of paradise seeds orange or the white never did anything the Kona Coffee seeds never did anything, the Helconia's and gingers did nothing either.I followed all the directions and even consulted with the Local State University who said basically I got the shaft because the vanda orchids were diseased and the seeds and rizomes were too old along with thw plumera had be too old of cuttings when purchased.
    All in all I got screwed by them and never recieved a email reply from them after sending many to their address.
    Chris

• chelty2
    17 years ago

So....who provides the best mail order product and service?
    I am new and would welcome recommendations. Thanks.

• ajcaiati_ptd_net
    12 years ago

I purchased a plumeria from Aloha and it did grow and finally bloom. I'm in eastern PA and last winter instead of putting the plant in the sunroom, it's just an empty stick by then, I put it downstairs in the basement. When I brought it up it looked dead; the top is black and shriviled. Has anyone had this experience? I just called Aloha and am waiting for a call back. They were very helpful several years ago, but haven't had any luck since. Does anyone know what I can do to save my plumeria; it's over 3 ft. tall. Should I just cut off the dead part and hope for the best. Its outside now and I water it faithfully, hopefully...

• onurciftci48
    8 years ago

It is a terrible company! They don't send the items... They don't refund... And they don't use courtesy phrases like "thank you", although you do as a customer ...

• Shelly Kinnen Picciano
    3 years ago

I purchased 8 plants from them and not a single one was correct. None of them died, but some weren’t even close to being the correct plant. Being a collector myself, I emailed them a picture of the order I received and told him exactly what he had sent and that they were wrong. He never replied back and I finally had to contact my credit card to get a full reimbursement. It’s sad because the website features so many great plants but it’s not worth the risk of whether you’ll get what you ordered. Try Logees.com or eldontropicals or Zone 9 tropicals or Annie’s Annuals if you’re looking for something unique.

• Karen Girard
    3 years ago

I purchased a plant from Aloha Tropicals on 1/31/20 and they charged me TWICE for the same order. I sent an email on 3/5/20, 4/3/20, 6/17/20, 6/29/20, 7/9/20, 8/19/20, 9/18/20, 1/13/20, AND I called on 10/14/20 and 12/30/20. Several times I was told by "Andrew Z" that I would be refunded for the duplicate payment, BUT it is now a year later and they still have not sent a refund. This is the same as stealing. I will not trust this company again, and recommend you shop elsewhere.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    2 years ago

I had a bad experience with this company many years ago so never ordered again.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area