Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help in identifying, please

Posted by FlowerFloozie (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 11, 04 at 9:54

I have been given a hardy ginger that is a "pass along" and the friend I received it from does not know its name. Its leaves look like the peace lily, the flower starts out a translucent purple color and as the stem grows upward there are numerous yellow smallish flowers. It spreads easily and is blooming even though I was just given the bulb this past fall. I may get "ginger addicted" as this one is really beautiful. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help in identifying, please

Was the bloom close to the ground or on a stalk in the air above the foliage? What color is the foliage? Do you have it planted in the ground? if so what zone are you in?
Is the flower pinecone shaped?

o

The ginger started blooming about 3 or 4 inches from the ground and the blooming stalk is now about 13 inches from the ground. The pinkish/purple bloom is about 4 inches across. The leaves are a lightish green and it is planted in the ground. It freezes here in Zone 8 (I believe that is our zone..East Texas)but comes back in the spring. I guess "pinecone" would describe the bloom with the yellow bud like flowers opening below the p/p bloom. Thanks for any information you can give me....I would wish for it to have a common name so I can remember it. LOL!

o

It may be a curcuma sp.? Curcuma ornata perhaps or curcuma sp. Ribbon...

o

This web site has tons of info. on gingers if this is not it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Curcuma ornata

o

Thank you, cactusfreak, that is it. I hope I get a patch that big with as many flowers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here