Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please ID this ginger ...

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 10:39

I purchased this plant at a San Antonio, Texas Garden Center plant sale. All I remember is that it is a ginger.

I would like to know more about it such as the name, growing requirements, if it will produce seeds (I have only the one plant) and if it is available from mail order sources.

The top of the flower is thirteen inches from the ground. Thank you very much for any information!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please ID this ginger ...

• Posted by chena z7 Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 16:52

Hey Roselee!!!
That is a curcuma.. I don't know which one..LOL I have the same one blooming now. It bloomed last yr but I never got seed from it.. Sorry I couldn't be much help..
Chena

o

Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 17:15

Hey Roselee!!!
That is a Curcuma Cordata (Pastel Hidden Ginger).. I think..
I have some that is blooming now.. A very hardy and dependable plant...
Blessings
Chena

o

Thank you so much Chena. Now it will be labeled so I won't forget. I thought I remembered something about it being a 'hidden ginger.' Mine was mostly hidden by the foliage of other plants LOL. I plan to move it this winter and get it out where I can watch it and hopefully give it more light so perhaps it will multiply. Do yours produce offshoots?

Again .. much appreciation!

o

I think it is Curcuma Petiolata. Doesn't look like Cordata to me as neither the bloom nor the leaves look like Cordata. It's very nice. Well done.

Steve

o

Hmmm, according to these links it looks like it goes by both names!

http://www.stokestropicals.com/detail.aspx?ID=536

Here is a link that might be useful: Curcuma Cordata

o

Thu, Aug 16, 07 at 17:53

Roselee..
I went back and pulled my paper work.. It came to me as Cordata...The two do look alot alike...Steve maybe you have a link that could cure this mystery...??
Here is a pic I took the 13th..I also went to

www.alohatropicals.com/Gingers_Curcuma.html - 55k

They had a very nice pic as well..
Chena

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginger plant

o

Chena,

I looked at your picture and I still think it's Petiolata. I have both Cordata and Petiolata in bloom now and will try to take a picture over the weekend. The Cordata looks like more of a bee hive inflorescence. The leaves on both are pleated but the leaves on Petiolata are more elongated and upright while the leaves on Cordata are more paddle shaped and open. However the colors in both are very similar. Either way, it's a winner.

Steve

o

Yes, it's a winner whichever one is is! Here is a picture snapped today to show the foliage and perhaps pin down the ID.

o

Still looks like Curcuma Petiolata to me. Go to www.stokestropicals.com and have a look see. They have pictures of both. The Cordata bloom looks like a bee hive. Tell me what you think. Also, Cordata is not readily found whereas Petiolata is much more common. Forgot to take pictures of mine over the weekend. Will try to remember to do it this afternoon.

Steve

o

I have to agree with Steve I also think it is Curcuma Petiolata. The reason I say that is the blooms on the Cordata is pink on the lower lips and the petiolata is greenish

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.gingersoftexas.com/Pictures_A_-_F.php

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here