Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another ID Please!

Posted by chena z7 Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 07 at 10:53

I recieved this Spiral Ginger several yrs ago. This is the first yr it has bloomed but I have been unable to identify it..Can ya help me out...TIA!!!
Blessings...
Chena

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginger ID?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another ID Please!

Chena,

Looks like Costus Pictus. Is is around 5 to 7 feet?

Steve

o

• Posted by chena z7 Texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 9, 07 at 15:32

Hey Steve!!!
Thanks so much!!! I have several.. the tallest is about 4~4 1/2 '.....I googled it and it looks like that could be it.. I have grown gingers for a couple of yrs. But I really don't know to much about them.. Other than I love them and they can deal with our heat..LOL If they can live in Tx. and not be too needy they are welcome to stay..LOL...I appreciate your help...
Blessings!!!
Chena

o

Chena,

Gingers are wonderful plants. I grow Alpinia, Globba, Kaempferia,Curcuma, Zingiber, and Hedychium gingers, and Costus (which used to be classified as a ginger, but isn't anymore). Over 60 in all. And every one is a favorite when it blooms.

You say pictus is in bloom now? Are you container growing it? I thought you were in Zone 7 and I really didn't think that one would grow reliably in the ground in your zone.

Steve

o

• Posted by chena z7 Texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 9, 07 at 19:46

Steve..
I have no clue what it is.. That is why I am asking...LOL I am z7~8ish.. depends on what you read and the weather...The spiral I have is blooming right now morning sun and afternoon shade...Lovin it.. no matter what it is..I do take it in come winter....
Chena

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here