Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjmc_gw

Heliconia Seeds

JJMc
18 years ago

I posted this on the Tropicals Forum - maybe it belongs here...

It took me almost 10 months, but I finally got my heliconia seeds to germinate! (I use the plastic baggie and moist paper towel method, so they are not in soil yet.) I was hoping somebody here could give me some advice on how to grow them.

- what type of soil should I plant them in?

- how much sun?

- outdoors, or indoors?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. It took so long for these to germinate, I don't want to blow it now!

Thanks,

JJ

Comments (3)

• rayandgwenn
    18 years ago

JJ-
    If you know what types, it would help.
    Assuming they are hardy in your zone (depends on variety- if you are truly zone 10, no problem) they should be fine outside. If so, then they are pretty easy to grow.
    Most of them like partial sun- they can take full sun for a few hours in morning or evening. But they are pretty resilent- too little sun, they get tall, too much sun and they are short. Only the psittacorums like full sun.
    They can grow in almost any soil, but prefer well drained soil- they don't like to be too wet.
    The thing about them is they like to eat. FOOD
    This is a start, hope it helps-
    -Gwenn

• LisaCLV
    18 years ago

How big are the seedlings now? If they are just an inch or two, you should start them out in small pots (2-4") in any good potting soil (houseplant-type mix is fine) and give it a healthy pinch of slow-release fertilizer pellets (Nutricote or Osmocote, something like that). In Hawaii we'd move them up into 1 gallon size a few months later, but I suspect where you are they're not going to grow fast enough to need to go any bigger until after winter has passed.

They'll do best outdoors until it gets too cold-- as Gwenn says, this will depend somewhat on what variety you have, but if it gets down below 50 deg. at night, I think I'd bring them inside. A greenhouse would be great, but if you don't have one, I guess you'll have to make do with a sunny window.

They don't make good permanent indoor specimens, though. They need more light than that to bloom (I disagree with Gwenn here-- we grow all our helis in full sun, although most can take partial shade as well). If you have a big species, it's going to be hard to keep in a pot, unless you have a really BIG pot. They grow and bloom better in the ground, but I only know of a few species (H. scheidiana comes to mind) that are hardy enough to overwinter outdoors in So Cal. The best thing would be to plant them in the ground inside a greenhouse, but not everybody can afford to do that.

• JJMc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Gwenn & Lisa,

Thanks for your advice. I posted on the other thread this morning that I planted them in 2" pots w/ MG potting soil & a small amount of MG fertilizer. I got the seeds from a plant that I saw at a local garden, so I'm sure they'll do fine outdoors, but I wasn't sure where to keep the little seedlings until they're big enough to go out. (Lisa, I don't have a green house, WISH I did! Someday....)

About the type, I'll have to go back to that garden some day to find out. While I was there, I also got some various palm tree seeds & those sprouted at the same time. I can't wait to see how these guys turn out!

I have grow lights & was thinking of growing them under those for a few weeks. Not sure yet, it's just been so nice out lately that I think I might leave them outside until the fog comes back. The seedlings are really just seeds w/ roots. No sign of green yet.

Thanks again,
    JJ

Sponsored