Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Butterfly Ginger

Posted by wendybird13 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 16:41

I am driving myself crazy with these plants !! I first planted near my 8ft tall gingers so they would have some shade- they didn't like it there. I moved them 2 months ago in front of my wooden fence which faces north yet receives mid morning- afternoon sun and stopped watering them so much and they were doing great. Now they look like this- curling leaves some are brown some are yellow. Over watering or under watering? Too much sun? I have read numerous articles some say a lot of water some say not. HELP !!!!!! Also recommendations for a good Ginger fertilizer please:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Butterfly Ginger

Would be a good idea to dig down and check the roots. The yellowing suggests over watering. The main thing is not so much the amount of water but whether it drains away. Soggy anaerobic soil isn't good for them.

o
RE: White Butterfly Ginger

These plants hate wet feet...but need moist soil & well drained, they need sun but look better in partial sun/shade....curling leaves mean too much sun, burnt/browning leaves too much sun also, yellowing leaves too much water so it is going to be finding the right combination of all....during the cooler months they will go to sleep and die back and return in the Spring. These plants are beautiful and fragrant and well worth the trouble...just do not get too frustrated and keep working at it. "SMILE" did I tell you grasshoppers love the leaves....sorry

This post was edited by sandnsea on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 22:56

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here