Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clearwaterjc

Ginger Babies

ClearwaterJC
18 years ago

I just started my garden 2 yrs ago and planted these ginger plants along my fence in shade - they have thick green leaves on stems with purple undersides. They haven't flowered yet, however this year they are sending out these long spikes with baby ginger plants on them, just like a spider plant does! These spikes are up to 4 feet tall! Now, if I cut those stalks off at the base, and again just under where the new baby is growing, then stick the baby in the ground beside the mother plant, will it grow? Or do I need to root in water first, or........

Comments (9)

• curdog007
    18 years ago

I've never seen that ginger. What is it? Could you post a pix?
    Lynn

• hedychium
    18 years ago

sounds like Hedychium greenei. Leave them on the plant and they will produce their own roots. Then you can seperate them and pot them up.

• TimChapman
    18 years ago

a picture would help, while H. greenii does make plantlets, it does this on the inflorescence (ie it will be blooming). I'm wondering if maybe its a ginger relative like a stromanthe or something which seems more like the description. Do the leaves of the plantlet all seem to attach at the same point but fan out or do they go up the stem alternating on each side of the stem?

Tim Chapman

• ClearwaterJC
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The leaves on the babies appear to be fanning out vs alternating on the stem. So if I leave them on the plant, they'll grow their own roots - then I cut them off the mother plant and put them in the ground?.... OK, good. I can't post a pic until I can figure out how to use this digital camera - I'm hoping to post a pic next week. Thanks!

• TimChapman
    18 years ago

I've put a link to a google image search below for stromanthe sanguinea. most are of the variegated form, but there are some of the standard. check it out and see if that is what you have.

Tim Chapman

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of stromanthe

• ClearwaterJC
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's it! Thank you - that's what I have, Stromanthe sanguinea! OK now, so do I still leave the babies on the stalks until they grow roots, THEN cut them off and plant them? Or do I remove them now? They're getting pretty tall.

• wanna_run_faster
    18 years ago

Is there any way you can gently bend the stalks so that the babies touch the ground? Maybe with a stake and some string? This way if the babies are in actually contact with the ground, they will start to root and when the roots are established you can snip them from the mom.

• bihai
    18 years ago

I have this in my greenhouse. Tim, is it hardy in zone 8B? Can I plant it out?

• TimChapman
    18 years ago

I think these can be rooted, however they aren't really plantlets ("babies") its just the growth habit of that plant.

Bihai: These are hardy in 8B, they've been grown in this zone for enough winters to call them reliably hardy. I really need to try some other stromanthe's and ctenanthes outside as I think several more may prove hardy.

Tim Chapman

Sponsored