pic of hedychium gracile var glaucum

Posted by plantaholic zone 8a AL (n2tropical@aol.com) on
Wed, Aug 25, 04 at 23:00

this ginger has spidery blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: gracile var glaucum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pic of hedychium gracile var glaucum

Another nice Hedychium Hayes. Do you grow many other genera in the ground there?

o

im growing other gingers like costus, curcuma, dichorysandra, kaempheria, zingiber, alpinia, and cautleya all in the ground. by far, i have mostly hedychiums. they are one of my favorite groups of plants......today. LOL

o

Nice pix. Where in AL do you live? I have several curcumas, maybe we could strike a trade. I favor curcumas because of their lasting power when cut, about two weeks. Also, like most gingers they are just beautiful to gaze upon.
Thanks,
Lynn

o

Wow thats quite a list of genera! You can overwinter both Kaempferia and Dichorisandra?!!? I have tried Kaempferias on several occasions with no luck, but would not have imagined Dichor being at all hardy. I have one on the cusp of blooming in a big container now. Have you had any flowers from your Alpinias? I've had A. japonica since July 1999, but have never seen flowers. What is the lowest temp you've had in the last 5 years?

o

im in anniston....between atl and bham. the kaempherias that over winter are rotundifolia and vars. the dichorysandra was a surprise. i found a clump that was 20 yrs old here in anniston and tried it myself.

the only alpinia to bloom is japonica....all other are for foliage only. the lowest temps ive had have been in the upper single digits since 1989.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here