Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing ginger roots

Posted by jpistone (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 17, 06 at 23:36

My roots are so large they're forcing themselves out of the ground. Can I just hack them up and plant the pieces elsewhere? When, how would be the best time to break things up? Also, how deep do you usually plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing ginger roots

Some gingers, especially some Hedychiums naturally grow that way, but if it's due to lack of room they'll also do that, they do it in pots alot. You definitely can go ahead and divide them, Where in zone 9 are you? You can either go ahead and do it now or wait until next spring when the new shoots begin sprouting, it's a little easier then because you cut off any old pseudostems from the year before so you don't have to stake anything. Gingers are very shallow rooted, most grow in the top 3 inches of soil, no deeper. I would say on avaerage we plant ours 2 to 3 inches deep. Water them in , fertilize and cover with mulch, like oak leaves, pine needles, etc... then you're good to go :)
Liz

o

Thanks, Liz...we're in San Diego. They've gotten so crowded I think I'll wait till spring and do a lot of culling back. I also think I need to plant them away from afternoon sun...

o

they don't like that afternoon sun. We grow only 3 gingers that we grow in full sun, most really prefer shade in the afternoon. you are quite welcome. Is your zone similar to mine? I guess your humidity is different from ours here? I lived in Sacramento area for a short time and it seemed very similar to Florida but, I realize all parts of the state aren't the same (people always think of the entire state of Florida as the same).
Liz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here