Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these Globbas correctly named

Posted by Mickey_Sg Singapore (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 30, 04 at 6:01

Sorry, its me again!

Two of the other Globbas I bought were labelled G. Auriantica and G. Unifolia. Are they correct?

G. Auriantica:

G. Unifolia

Thanks and Regards
Mick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these Globbas correctly named

No, they are not. The second one looks like G. patens except that it seems more pink than I have ever seen. Its not G. variabilis despite the way I sounded in my last post (G. patens and G. variabilis look similar if only an old dry infl. is left).

The first one is more complicated. It is possibly G. aurantiaca but that species comes from Sumatra which isn't a common place for people to collect gingers. It may also be G. curtisii, a species from Peninsular Malaysia. Getting a plant from Pen. Mal. is more likely, in which case it is G. curtisii. To make a long story short, more taxonomic work needs to be done on the Malaysian/Indonesian species with plain green bracts. But I probably won't have time for that for a few years. So for now you can take your pick of those two names. To be honest, they may be a single species anyway as sometimes taxonomists focus too closely on one area (e.g. Sumatra OR Malaysia) without comparing what grows in different areas (Sumatra AND Malaysia).

It looks like all the species you have are evergreen. Makes sense given where you are. Outside of your area most of the species grown are deciduous.

-Kyle

o
RE: Are these Globbas correctly named

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the replies. The plants are much more likely to have come from Peninsular Malaysia or Thailand, I can check with the the nursery, but its unlikely that they would get anything from Sumatra. So I'll assume the one labelled Auriantica is therefore G. Curtisii.

Kind Regards
Mick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here