Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bruggirl

Has anyone grown a globba from seed?

bruggirl
19 years ago

I have a globba that has bloomed for the first time this year. It has seeds, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to tall when the seeds are ripe, and how to grow them. How long do they take to germinate, and how long until you get a bloom sized plant? I read online to put them in damp peat moss.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Comments (8)

• Mantisia
    19 years ago

Are you sure they are seeds? Are they really tiny (just a few millimeters) and came out of a pod? Or were they bigger (around 1/4 inch or so) and directly attached near the base of the inflorescence and not in a pod? Do you know what species you have? If not can you give a basic description (especially the color of the bracts and if the inflorescece stands up or hangs down)?

It makes a difference what the "seeds" look like because the first thing I mentioned are true seeds. They will grow much slower but you have the possibility of interesting variation in the flowers. I haven't grown Globbas from seeds yet, so I will let another expert tell you about that.

The second thing I mentioned are bulbils. They are MUCH more common than seeds and very easy to grow. Just put them on peat moss or most any basic potting soil and push them in slightly (so you can still see the bulbils, you don't even have to cover them up on top). Just keep them moist and warm and they will grow for you. You can have a blooming plant (albeit small) within a few months. But don't be surprised if the bulbils just sit there for months too. I have found that they can sense the season and many won't grow during the winter even in a greenhouse.

Good luck!

-Kyle

• bruggirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

This site has the exact globba I'm talking about, along with pictures of the seeds or bulbils, or whatever they are.

Here is a link that might be useful: Globba racemosa

• TimChapman
    19 years ago

The globba displayed is actually G. schomburgkii which is common in the trade. The "seeds" you have then are the bulbils that Kyle was referring to.

The true G. racemosa which looks nothing like G. schomburgkii is much less commonly cultivated but a really cool species in my opinion.

Tim Chapman

• bruggirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Tim,
    Thanks for the info, but when I compare the pictures, the Schomburgkii has more flowers on the stems than mine does, and mine doesn't have the red in the flowers. I'd post a picture of mine, but the storm blew all the blooms off, nothing left but the bulbils.

It doesn't matter, I love it, and just wanted to know how to propagate it, which I do now.

Thank you both for your help.

• Mantisia
    19 years ago

Globba schomburgkii is the species in the link you sent and is almost certainly what you have. In terms of flowers and bulbils it can be quite variable. Some plants have lots of flowers and few bulbils, some have lots of bulbils and few flowers. But they are all the same species. Its actually one of the most widespread and common Globbas to find in the wild (in its native Southeast Asia).

As Tim pointed out, the website you linked to has the wrong name for the species pictured. It is definitely not G. racemosa. I agree with Tim that the real G. racemosa is a cool plant. Actually, I am surprised it is not more widespread as it is the most cold hardy Globba. It grows in many of the same regions as the cold hardy Hedychiums. I even know of a mountain that it grows naturally on in China that regularly gets snow every year.

-Kyle

• Mickey_Sg
    19 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm fascinated by this thread as I'm keen to learn as much about my globbas as I can.

My G. atrosanguinea has just produced a long thin bare spike with a tubular shiny green pod. Is this a seed pod? How will I know when it's ready pluck to get viable seeds?

Secondly, how big does a bulbil have to be to be viable? Can I pluck them when they are still very small, e.g just a few millimetres, or must I wait until they are a certain size?

Thanks in advance and kind regards
    Mick

• Mantisia
    19 years ago

If it didn't have flowers it can't be a seed pod. What you have is probably a bulbil. They need to be relatively mature before you pick them. Just wait until they get some size and come off fairly easily. They might grow for you if they are immature but you will have better luck if you give them a week or two extra.

In case you don't know already, G. atrosanguinea is one of the evergreen Globbas. Since you are in Singapore you are already in the perfect climate for that species (its native to Borneo and Sumatra). I just wanted to make sure you didn't think you would have to cut back on the water like you would with most Globba species.

-Kyle

• CoolPlants
    19 years ago

My yellow globba drops its bulbils just before going dormant (for the past month). Mine seem to take maybe 2 years to get large enough to flower. I don't keep them in a greenhouse. They often grow as a 'weed' in other pots and when they get a little size to them, I transplant them just after they go dormant.
    kevin

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz