Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaalan

What is your latest flowering ginger?

GAAlan
19 years ago

I was out this morning to check on things when I spotted the first open(ever for me) flowers of Hedychium thrysiforme. It is by far my latest to begin blooming. What is the last ginger in your garden to initiate flowers? Are there other genera that flower later than Hedychium?

Comments (11)

• TimChapman
    19 years ago

A few other hedychium are late bloomers as well. I find Curcuma roscoeana and Curcuma aurantiaca tend to bloom very late as well. There are of course evergreen gingers that are short day bloomers and would just be getting started, but I assume you mean hardy, winter dormant type stuff. I've got a Zingiber bradleyanum just open up for the first time ever. Some curcuma are still going strong with new inflor.s sprouting. Hedychium are probably the best though since they often do a great late season flush with the cooler weather as long as you can keep them well watered during the dryer late summer/autumn months.

Tim Chapman

• cannahavana
    19 years ago

I have a Hedychium coronarium compactum I noticed yesterday that has a bloom head forming for the first time. I hope it hurries before the first frost in a few weeks.

Rebecca

• cannahavana
    19 years ago

Ooops, sorry that is Hedychium gardnerianum compactum.

• cactusfreak
    19 years ago

My Curcuma alismatifolia is just starting to bloom.
    Photo taken Wed. 9-29-04
    {{gwi:845279}}

• plantaholic
    19 years ago

hedychium flavescens is one of the latest bloomers for me.

• bahia
    19 years ago

Hedychium flavescens, H. flavum and H. greenei are still blooming here in northern California in mid November. in past years I have also had Alpinia zerumbet continue blooming into mid winter.

• Auby
    19 years ago

H flavescens always for me and also Luna Moth decided to put out a late flush this fall after blooming in June. Everything is all over now though!

• danbo
    19 years ago

I second the hedychium flavescens. Though this year it started blooming earlier for me, usually it doesn't start till about october or later and usually blooms till the frosts hit.

• bigeasyjock
    19 years ago

I ... what is it third the H. flavscens. Mine started blooming oh a week back.
    Mike

• GAAlan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow Mike, you have a Hedychium that began blooming in Mid December?! When is your first frost there? It was 16F here this morning, and reached only 37F today. My brain is so cold it cannot process the thought of there being a place where Hedychiums are still in bloom! Thats a pretty neat thing to wake up to on Christmas!

I might need to look into H. flavescens next year!

• TimChapman
    19 years ago

Many Hedychium spp. are quite use to cool/cold temps and adapt to our hot summers. A freeze will knock them down though. We had a mild winter up to a few days ago (all are down now). H. thyrsiforme, flavescens, coronarium and others will bloom til the first frost. the first two tend to bloom in the fall as well, where H. coronarium starts much sooner in the season. Some of the epiphytic hedychium bloom in the middle of winter (in a greenhouse though), and some like H. gracile go completely deciduous before the freezes ever come.

Tim Chapman