Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenwitch_gw

Ammomum Cardamom 'Cinnamon Ginger'

greenwitch
20 years ago

Puzzled over the name 'Cinnamon Ginger' on a fragrant-foliaged obvious ginger at my local nursery, I emailed the supplier who gave me the botanical name. (I thought it might be a cinnamon-color-bloom hedychium.) I've never seen this anywhere else and would like to try it. Has anyone grown this or have any cultural advice for an inland valley in SoCal? Does it bloom? The fragrance of the foliage is alot like Alpinia nutans, but it stands about 5' tall in a 5 gal. at the nursery. The buyer told me some of their gingers are only available in Florida, is this one of them? It's from Marilyn's Gardens (wholesale nursery). TIA

Comments (8)

• SleepAtTheWheel
    20 years ago

It isn't Elettaria cardamomum? are the leaves fuzzy? If it is the Elettaria...bring it inside in the winter and in a couple of years, you MIGHT get a flower and a cardamom seed! :o)
    xoxoSleep

• greenwitch
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Nope. No fuzzy leaves. The grower wrote that it's Ammomum cardomom. I'm thinking I'll just have to acquire one and try growing it, see what happens, the proof-is-in-the-pudding and all that....

• timintexas
    20 years ago

I have grown this plant for years at my nursery here in East Texas. Funny, I have never seen it bloom before- even in a greenhouse situation. I sell it as a shady alternative to ferns ect. It is ground hardy here (a mean, rough, zone 8). At any rate, it is so easy to grow and propagate. I sell them for .99 in 4 inch pots and BIG ones in gallon pots for 4.99.

• jeffseattle
    20 years ago

It's called Cinnamon Ginger because of the foliage fragrance, which is very similar to cinnamon bark.

• fleurkat
    19 years ago

It is called either Elletaria or Ammomum Cardamomum (either name is correct). Leaves are similar to that of some bamboo. I've been growing it on my windowsill in winter and outdoors in summer for about 10 yrs. So far no flowers or seeds.

• Mantisia
    19 years ago

Fleurkat,

Actually when it comes to scientific names only one name can be correct. Cardamon is Elettaria cardamomum, Amomum is a completely different genus. But you are partially correct in that I'm pretty sure Amomum cardamomum is a synonym of E. card. However, the names are not interchangeable so be sure to use Elettaria as the genus for cardamon.

-Kyle

• TimChapman
    19 years ago

Seeds of Amomum compactum are used as a substitute for the real deal. As mentioned before, 99.99% of the plants being grown and sold as cardamom are NOT labeled correctly at all (they are neither Elettaria nor Amomum, but Alpinia spp.). Alpinia nutans is one of the main mislabeled plants, but I'm sure there are others. I've seen Alpinia nutans sold as both Amomum compactum as well as Elettaria cardamomum. If you want Cardamom spice, buy it at the grocery store, this is not one you can grow easily for its spice as you can with Zingiber officinale or Alpinia galanga (where the rhizomes are what is harvested).

Tim Chapman

• katladie
    19 years ago

Try amomum compactum. I have it growing for the first year, but was told it does not flower. I like its neat clumping form . The leaves smell really good when crushed. Let me know what you have to trade if you still want some.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022