Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reinbeaux

ID help needed

reinbeaux
19 years ago

I've been looking for fresh tumeric root at asian markets to plant and grow. Today I think I may have found it. The package was not marked (except price) and there were no signs. I asked one of the employees and she said it was 'yellow ginger' (she didn't speak much english --- most of the asian markets I go to the employees do not speak or understand english) I need to know if what I have is tumeric or yellow ginger ? The flesh is orange and it appears the same as the tumeric root pictures in my herb books (either way, I plan on planting it and growing it) Since I purchased it at the grocery store, I know it's an edible - I would just like to know which one. I tried to google 'yellow ginger' but never found a pic of the root to compare.

Comments (7)

• cactusfreak
    19 years ago

Did you come across these pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow ginger root

• reinbeaux
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That was a picture of tumeric (Curcuma longa / Curcuma domestica Loir) which they stated was sometimes called 'yellow ginger' - it was not a picture of 'yellow ginger' (Hedychium flavum / Hedychium flavescens)

• bihai
    19 years ago

ALso look in Indian groceries for turmeric.
    You can find fresh galangal in Asian Markets too!

• reinbeaux
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The one Indian grocery / deli I tried --- although it was very small and they didn't have produce (it was more of a deli) the owner was very nice though.

I bought it whatever it was - now I want to find out if it is tumeric (Curcuma longa) or if it is 'yellow ginger' (HEDYCHIUM flavum / HEDYCHIUM flavescens) I am asking for pics of HEDYCHIUM flavum or HEDYCHIUM flavescens *root* so I can see if I bought tumeric (already have pic) or if it is indeed 'yellow ginger' (I know sometimes tumeric is called 'yellow ginger' - although since there actually is a yellow ginger, this is confusing)

Found galangal awhile ago and planted it - hasn't sprouted yet though

• cactusfreak
    19 years ago

I've been looking for fresh tumeric root at asian markets to plant and grow. Today I think I may have found it.

Since you purchased the tumeric/orange root It seemed you wanted a picture of it to compare.
    You never mentioned you wanted the garden variety of yellow buterfly ginger, Hedychium flavescens/flavum.
    Hedychium flavescens is never sold as tumeric. Unless the person just doesn't know what they are doing. And in gardening circles Hedychium flavescens is always referred to as butterfly ginger not turmeric.
    Is it not confusing as long as you use the botanical name. And I have never heard of any one eating hedychium. The root is not yellow and therefore would not offer any coloring agent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow butterfly ginger

• baci
    18 years ago

The turmeric rhizome is about 3 inches; smaller than galangal & regular ginger root. The size of the galangal & regular ginger is the same. Also, if you scrape the skin of a turmeric root it is orange; the others are white or cream in color.

• LisaCLV
    18 years ago

I hadn't seen this thread before and I hope you've resolved this by now, but if not, I can tell you that if the rhizome you purchased was orange inside, it was NOT a Hedychium, which have larger rhizomes that are whitish/beige inside. "Yellow ginger" is probably just what they call turmeric, not an indication that it was Hedychium flavum, which would not be found in a grocery store. Is it growing?

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz