Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Varieties

Posted by
ormond-janni Zone 9
(gw:ormond-janni) on
Mon, Sep 18, 06 at 19:33

Hi,
I just discovered this forum. I have lots of shell ginger but didn't have much of an interest in ginger until now. I just discovered there is more than one variety. I picked up this really pretty plant at Lowe's. It looked like it was topped with a pink tulip. Lo and behold it is a ginger. Now I'm really curious about the different varieties. I'm sure this must be answered somewhere on this forum, but don't know how to find it. Can anyone help me?
Thanx,
Janni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Varieties

There are over 1000 species of ginger. Shell ginger is Alpinia Zerumbut. "Google" Curcuma, Kaempferia, Globba, Zingiber, Etlingera, Hedychium. You will find a world of wonderful blooming plants almost all of which are hardy in Zone 9. I have over 60 different gingers growing in my yard including "shell ginger". There are a lot better choices than that one. If you like fragrance, look into the Hedychiums (butterfly gingers). Also "google" Costus. It used to be considered a ginger but is now separate.

Steve

o

Better yet, check out this site:

Here is a link that might be useful: Le Jardin Ombrage Ginger Pages

o

• Posted by
    ormond-janni Zone 9
    (gw:ormond-janni) on
    Fri, Sep 22, 06 at 17:27

Hey, all I can say is WOW! Thank you so much. I'm in love. Now all I need is more land!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here