Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantaholic_gw

more ginger pics

plantaholic
19 years ago

i took these ginger pics in the rain today. francis dropped just over 2" of much needed rain. i was slinging fertilizer like mad just before the bands moved in.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• GAAlan
    19 years ago

More neat gingers! How tall is H. greenei for you? I need to move mine to much more sun as it has only been 6-10" tall for two years. How long have you had the Zingiber rubens in the ground? I tried it in 2000. It made phenomenal growth but did not survive that first winter. I actually had four different Zingibers at one time and the only one that lasted was Z. mioga. It eventually died. Luckily I had shared it with a friend who put it in a container. She has at least five pots full of it now and since gave me a piece back!

I had 3.30" of rain from Frances. Also had some broken banana leaves.

• plantaholic
    Original Author
    19 years ago

greenei gets about 4 ft tall. they love water and would grow in muck im sure. my blooms didnt open til frances rolled thru. greenei really loves water.

rubens has been for several years. its been hardy for me. it hasnt been a rapid spreader. mioga is rampant in my garden and probably the hardiest of zingibers from my experience

• GingersRus
    19 years ago

BTW, I have finally been convinced that the correct spelling is H. greenii (with two i's). Sorry if I led anyone astray as I had it wrong on my website for several years. This is all explained at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedychium greenii - at GingersRus.com

• plantaholic
    Original Author
    19 years ago

hedychium greenii
    hedychium greenii
    hedychium greenii
    hedychium greenii
    hedychium greenii
    hedychium greenii
    hedychium greenii

ok...practice practice practice LOL

• cactusfreak
    19 years ago

Here's one of mine. Get close enough and you can smell it.
    LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedychium Elizabeth

• cathys1951
    17 years ago

Oh to have a collection that this....It seems hard to find gingers of any kind in the Savannah Ga I fyou need someone to share with Im your girl. LOL

• georgew79
    17 years ago

Hi very nice photos, I especially like your Hedy- elizabeth and Pink sparks. Oh course they are all very nice. I wish I had just a couple of what you have for my own, I built and planted out a simi- tropical garden for a cancer patient that lives up the road from me. I planted several white Butterfly gingers for her along with quite a few cannas and Perennial Hibiscus and various vines. Everything is in full bloom except the gingers they will most likely bloom next year for her, I'm still hoping to find something nice for myself that I can grow inside or move into my small green house during the winter. Since I'm disabled also and live on a small check, and it takes me awhile to get up enough cash to buy them. The other day I saw a very nice dwarf Heliconia Lobster claw that I would love to have.
    By the way all of the gingers and related plants that I grow, are in very large containers so I can move them in and out on roller stands. This way I know that they will get a head start for the following years.
    Once again great plants and very nice photo's have a great season.
    George

• plantfriend
    17 years ago

I surely enjoyed the pictures of your Gingers. I have a few myself, but none like those. They are lovely plants. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

• MGPinSavannah
    17 years ago

Oh, my! I was just prowling around the internet trying to find out if I could grow edible ginger in my garden in Savannah and there were your pictures... What simply beautiful plants they are! Thanks for posting them.