Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
more ginger pics

Posted by plantaholic zone 8a AL (n2tropical@aol.com) on
Tue, Sep 7, 04 at 19:47

i took these ginger pics in the rain today. francis dropped just over 2" of much needed rain. i was slinging fertilizer like mad just before the bands moved in.

Here is a link that might be useful: ginger pics slide show

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: more ginger pics

More neat gingers! How tall is H. greenei for you? I need to move mine to much more sun as it has only been 6-10" tall for two years. How long have you had the Zingiber rubens in the ground? I tried it in 2000. It made phenomenal growth but did not survive that first winter. I actually had four different Zingibers at one time and the only one that lasted was Z. mioga. It eventually died. Luckily I had shared it with a friend who put it in a container. She has at least five pots full of it now and since gave me a piece back!

I had 3.30" of rain from Frances. Also had some broken banana leaves.

o

greenei gets about 4 ft tall. they love water and would grow in muck im sure. my blooms didnt open til frances rolled thru. greenei really loves water.

rubens has been for several years. its been hardy for me. it hasnt been a rapid spreader. mioga is rampant in my garden and probably the hardiest of zingibers from my experience

o

BTW, I have finally been convinced that the correct spelling is H. greenii (with two i's). Sorry if I led anyone astray as I had it wrong on my website for several years. This is all explained at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedychium greenii - at GingersRus.com

o

hedychium greenii
hedychium greenii
hedychium greenii
hedychium greenii
hedychium greenii
hedychium greenii
hedychium greenii

ok...practice practice practice LOL

o

Here's one of mine. Get close enough and you can smell it.
LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedychium Elizabeth

o

Oh to have a collection that this....It seems hard to find gingers of any kind in the Savannah Ga I fyou need someone to share with Im your girl. LOL

o

Hi very nice photos, I especially like your Hedy- elizabeth and Pink sparks. Oh course they are all very nice. I wish I had just a couple of what you have for my own, I built and planted out a simi- tropical garden for a cancer patient that lives up the road from me. I planted several white Butterfly gingers for her along with quite a few cannas and Perennial Hibiscus and various vines. Everything is in full bloom except the gingers they will most likely bloom next year for her, I'm still hoping to find something nice for myself that I can grow inside or move into my small green house during the winter. Since I'm disabled also and live on a small check, and it takes me awhile to get up enough cash to buy them. The other day I saw a very nice dwarf Heliconia Lobster claw that I would love to have.
By the way all of the gingers and related plants that I grow, are in very large containers so I can move them in and out on roller stands. This way I know that they will get a head start for the following years.
Once again great plants and very nice photo's have a great season.
George

o

I surely enjoyed the pictures of your Gingers. I have a few myself, but none like those. They are lovely plants. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

o

Oh, my! I was just prowling around the internet trying to find out if I could grow edible ginger in my garden in Savannah and there were your pictures... What simply beautiful plants they are! Thanks for posting them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here