Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical Ginger in zone 9?

Posted by nomarq 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 11, 08 at 2:19

Hi everyone, I am planning to plant a kahili, Anne Bishop, white and yellow in the ground, will they survive in my area? I lived in Tracy, CA. and it gets hot during summer time and it can go down to 30-25 during winter.Your comments and help will be appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical Ginger in zone 9?

I live in Novato with approximately the same conditions, at least the lows are about the same. My ginger never completely dies with the cold, but during a cold winter (like the one before last) it will die back to the ground and then return from the roots when it warms again. Ginger generally takes two seasons of growth to flower. I currently have some flowering as last winter was fairly warm. Hope this helps.

o
RE: Tropical Ginger in zone 9?

I'm in Houston 9b. We winter our gingers over in the ground. The trick seems to be to plant them somewhere that doesn't get too wet during the winter.

o
sorry

I meant to say 8b not 9b, it's been a long day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here