Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaalan

In-ground Ginger Rebloom

GAAlan
19 years ago

I have had this before on Daniel Weeks, Pink Flame and pradhanii Hedychium and PF and DW are doing it again now. I count five inflorescences between the two of them. Anyone else have gingers doing this now?

Comments (6)

• TimChapman
    19 years ago

not sure exactly what you are asking. If you just mean is it common for them to bloom this time of year then yes Hedychiums actually thrive in the cooler weather if the watering/rains have been there. On non-drought autumns (this ain't one for us this year!!!) mine would do a great flush of blooming in october. Most other gingers aren't so fond of cooler temps, so they shut down. Its not impossible to have Hedychium blooming til the first freeze.

Tim Chapman

PS. I should say that not all will do this as some species and hybrids have shorter seasons. Your better hybrids and many species will bloom now though.

• jeffseattle
    19 years ago

I planted rhizomes of white butterfly ginger in March of last year. They have never bloomed before, but just a couple days ago I noticed the first bulges at the top of some of the tallest (8-foot) stalks. Pretty exciting!

• GAAlan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Tim, I realize now that how I put my query is not very clear, sorry. I was asking if others had had gingers bloom again after finishing an earlier flush. My Daniel Weeks, Pink Flame, and I noticed yesterday Elizabeth, are all blooming again. They all had flowers several weeks ago, then for a while had no flowers, and now have produced a second flush of flowers.

I wish we could get some of your rain. Since September 18, I have had 3.58" of rain, the problem is 3.50" of that fell on Sept 27 and only .08" since! For October we have had .08" of rain! It is the driest month of the year but this is a bit too dry!

• TimChapman
    19 years ago

well, we do have some rain scheduled later today I think, and we did get a ton a few days ago. However, it was so dry that what normally would have left lakes around my house didn't even saturate the soil. It is quite typical though in the southeast for us to get very dry where everything starts to go dormant then get tons of rain during cold weather... completely confusing the plants. Got to love it.

Tim C.

• GAAlan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well we had a good rain yesterday. I had 1.40". It was misting when I went outside this morning. I have been busy planting all kinds of plants this month and finally mother nature is helping me water!

So Tim, do you have any Hedychiums producing a second flush of flowers? I have another unknown narrow leaved non fragrant Hedychium that was remontant last year that is not this year. On a separate note, I cannot get over how much my H. thrysiforme is blooming. I have waited for nearly four years for it to begin blooming, and now that it has, it is loaded with open and emerging inflorescences! This is not a rebloom for thrysiforme, just an amazing show after so long with nothing.

• TimChapman
    19 years ago

Hmmm,

I'll have to double check the hedychium at my parents house (down the road). Most of my hedychiums that are in the ground are there. My place is still fairly new and I'm still working on beds so all of the Hedy. here are not well established. I remember seeing H. coronarium and coronarium chrysoleucum blooming. I think H. flavescens is as well. It is usually a fall bloomer but sometimes blooms mid summer as well which it did this summer. There are a few hybrids blooming, not sure which ones.

Hedychium thrysiforme is, for me at least, always a late season bloomer. A lot of times its just budding when the first frost hits which is never good. I have a large clump of these just starting at my place. You usually won't see this one bloom when the majority of others are blooming.

Tim Chapman