Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
progfreak

Leaving gingers planted in beds for winter

progfreak
13 years ago

I was wondering if my beehive and shampoo gingers will be alright in the ground in zone 9 Louisiana . And if I leave them there will they bloom next year. Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

• lac1361
    13 years ago

They will be just fine. Your two gingers are Zingibers and they are basal bloomers. The plant's rhizome has to have enought mass to bloom. If they are young plants with a small rhizome and root structure, they may not bloom next year but definitely should the following year.

Steve

• progfreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I just purchased around 20 new Ginger plants and was just wondering.

• lac1361
    13 years ago

From where did you buy 20 ginger plants and are there any other varieties other than Beehive and Shampoo.

Steve

• progfreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Stokes tropicals in new Iberia. 75%off. I got hedy,s Daniel weeks, Elizabeth, double eagle, peach, sunburst, 4 diff costas, and the shampoo and beehive along with some black bamboo, musa ice cream, Chinese musa, thai golden musa, black thai, gold finger, musa banjo, 3 different dragon fruits, a rainbow eucalyptus, a dawn redwood, musa balbasina, another type of banana I can't remember at the moment, and 3 other hedy's

• lac1361
    13 years ago

Quite a collection of plants. You must have visited the nursery in person. Where in Louisiana do you live?

Steve

• TimChapman
    13 years ago

You may want to keep the beehive Ginger (assuming it is Zingiber spectabile). This is a tropical evergreen that can return after winter here in Zone 8 Louisiana , but it comes back smaller and eventually won't come back. It is questionable in zone 9. But if you want to try it make sure you start with a decent size plant. Not to be a downer but most of the evergreen zingibers just don't adapt well to dormancy and cold winters. The related shampoo Ginger Zingiber zerumbet that you got will do just fine year after year. Sometimes it won't bloom the first season after planting but once established it's very reliable.

Tim Chapman

• progfreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I live in New Iberia about 20 minutes from stokes. Thanks for the input. I may bring the beehive Ginger indoors for the winter so it can gain some size. What are some other great tropicals I can get away with planting outside here?

• lac1361
    13 years ago

I've had good luck with Costus Barbatus planted on the south side of my house. It's been a very reliable bloomer for me since 2002. Was completely frozen to the ground last winter and recently bloomed on two stalks. I like the Curcuma gingers as well. The above poster, Tim Chapman, is a world class expert on all gingers. I going to put in a plug for him and his web site, gingerwood nursery. He's a Louisiana guy and sells lots of different curcumas.

Musa Coccinea is a very nice ornamental banana that I've grown for years; nice bloom. If you have significant shade areas, the Globba gingers are very nice. You should be able to grow both the white bird of paradise and the orange bird of paradise and get both to bloom over time.

I see a very invasive banana on your list of purchases. The Thai Gold banana is a serious runner rather than a clumper. Once established, it will grow laterally 3 or 4 feet in a year. If you plant it in the ground, give it a lot of space because it will end up a half a mile away from its original planting area.

You can also grow Heliconia Scheideana but the likelyhood of seeing blooms will be remote. Still the foliage is nice and the leaves have a red edge to them. They come back every year. If you have a place to protect container grown plants, I like Heliconia Rostrata. This heliconia is a medium sized heliconia and can be bloomed in a container and it is a knock out bloom.

Steve

• progfreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the great info. I need to look into finding me a musa Coccinea. I also think I'm gonna run back to stokes for some more curcuma's. I currently have a scarlet fever that's 2 years old and I think I saw some globba's also picking up some dendrclamus bamboo and a cotton silk kapok tree

Sponsored