Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaclv

Hedychium flavum vs. flavescens

LisaCLV
18 years ago

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between H. flavum and H. flavescens? We got a Hedychium labelled Yellow Butterfly at a Waimea sale several years back, and I think David Orr said it came from Tom Wood.

I googled Yellow Butterfly and it came up as variously flavum or flavescens. The GingersRUs site lists both species. Yellow Butterfly is listed as H. flavum, but it says it blooms earlier in the year and is more fragrant than flavescens, which is a fall bloomer. Ours is blooming now, although it did bloom earlier too. While it is fragrant, it is not as strongly fragrant as others I've smelled. According to the notes on that site, H. flavescens is invasive in Hawaii, so that must be what we usually see as Yellow Ginger here, although the description says it has hairy foliage, and I don't remember seeing that. We don't have any of the common yellow here to compare ours to, but my husband says it looks different to him. I can't tell. The pictures look the same to me.

Anybody?

{{gwi:845585}}

Here is a link that might be useful: GingersRUs Hedychium page

Comments (5)

• GingersRus
    18 years ago

There seem to be two plants in horticulture by these names that are used interchangeably, and I have always been confused by them. I have concluded that in horticulture at least, the plant with the wider bracts, dark in color, late fall blooming must be H. flavescens. The other one has distinctively narrower bracts and medium green in color, seems to usually bloom a little earlier. As for fragrance, I am the wrong person since I rarely can distinguish fragrances in Hedychiums.

I have a copy of an early draft of Tom Woods thesis - a complete monograph on Hedychium. I have followed his key and carefully read the descriptions but I am still confused. He places H. flavescens right next to H. coronarium, distinguishing it only by the flower color - light yellow all over for flavescens and white stamen, white labellum, sometimes with yellow spot for H. coronarium.

H. flavum is next to a species called H. oblongum in a grouping with bracts specifically NOT maroon (which is H. borneense), but rather "Bracts green, tips flat or patent, lateral staminodes perpendicular to the labellum, at least at their base". This seems to support H. flavum being the one I thought it was.

The text of his monograph mentions the fact that these two species are often misidentified due to the name similarity, but rather than explain exactly how they differ from each other, the text goes into great detail distinguishing them from other species and discussing the errors in various illustrations. He says in his thesis that the Roscoe print that is shown as H. flavum is really H. flavescens, and that looks to me like the wide, dark bracted plant we have in horticulture as H. flavescens, so I thought that confirmed it. It is on my web site at
    http://www.gingersrus.com/images/ImageFrame.php?ImageID=7852

I once asked Tom about this, and I never could really understand his answer. It seems my conclusion was WRONG, but I never really understood. So the bottom line, I am not really sure.

Maybe Tom will check in on this forum and explain the distinction. Meanwhile, in horticulture at least, it seems the wide, dark bracted one is flavescens. At least I can say that there are indeed two separate species according to Tom.

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Dave.... I think. ;-)

I don't really know too much more now, but based on your comments and those on your website, I'm leaning towards thinking this is not flavescens. I guess I'll go with H. flavum unless somebody can tell me different.

I don't really like it that much in any event. We have a really beautiful yellow called 'Fukuju'-- big heads, very fragrant, strong glossy foliage. I want to propagate that one and phase out this one, but I like to have the correct name on things for our sales.

• GingersRus
    18 years ago

The one in your photo I would call H. flavescens because of the wide bracts, but like I say, I do not know for sure.

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ha ha... okay, thanks. Back to square one, I guess.

BTW, for comparison, here is a picture of Fukuju:
    {{gwi:845589}}
    Everybody really likes this one.

• GingersRus
    18 years ago

That looks more like the one I am calling H. flavum. It has the narrow bracts, grows a little shorter and blooms a little earlier than the other one I think is H. flavescens.

I keep hoping someone who REALLY knows will pop in here and set us straight.

Sponsored