Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Gingers ....Need Your Help Please!!!

Posted by luvmy3afhounds 7a, OK (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 27, 08 at 19:18

Hi there,
I just received my Ebay ginger roots from Hawaii(White Hedychium, Pink Alpinia, Red Alpinia, Blue Dichorisandra & Kahili Hedychium). I have read that ginger goes dormant in the winter. I already planted my roots in pots to keep indoors. If this is the time they normally go dormant how will I be able to get these started? Will they grow and then die back? I guess I chose the wrong time to start them. I also have a Globba Winitii in a very small pot that has been growing for a few months. I was going to keep it in the house for the winter. Can they go dormant without losing the leaves?
Thank you for any help you can provide, I have always wanted to grow ginger. Hello to all of you ginger lovers!
Joyce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Gingers ....Need Your Help Please!!!

Down here they go dormant but don't die back in the winter.

The important thing if you plant them outside now is to make sure they are in a dry area. They are very prone to rotting in a wet, cold area.

I would pot them up in good sized pots ( at least a gallon most is better ). Then put the pots outside. This will keep them from getting too wet over the winter.

You don't want them totally dry, water them as you would an indoor cactus until the weather breaks. Then plant them in the ground.

o

Hi Timestocome, Thank you for your response! I had potted them in small pot and was going to grow them under lights in the house for the winter. They are small roots. I am not sure they would be hardy here as we get snow and below zero temps. So maybe I should keep them dry but let them grow in the house and then put them out in the Spring? I will keep them in pots as we have many gophers and moles.
Thanks again and any help or tips would be appreciated!
Joyce

o

The alpinias do not go dormant. Do NOT put them outside in winter.
The blue ginger (which is really not a ginger), also does not go dormant and is also NOT hardy in you rzone. Do not leave it outside in winter.
For the hedychiums, you are just inside their hardiness zone. I used to live in zone 6b and we always brought them inside (to the basement or garage) for the winter.
This year, since they are still so new and have not yet become accustomed to the change in weather, put them in the garage or basement. Water only once every 2 weeks or so.
Next year, after a summer of growth, you can bring some in and leave some out and see if they all make it. Then you know if your zone is acceptable to them.
Better safe than sorry!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here