Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Ginger 'Tahitian Flame'

Posted by katie_55 5a (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 14, 08 at 19:30

I just got a Tahitian Flame today. Not in the greatest shape. A lot of brown leaves. I plan on repotting it into a larger container, should I cut back the brown leaves or wait till spring to do that. If I cut it back it would leave it with no leaves.
Thanks for any help.

Katie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Ginger 'Tahitian Flame'

• Posted by bihai zone 9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 15, 08 at 19:05

Hmmm.....
I am assuming you have grown other Hedychium gingers in zone 5a? Are you growing these as houseplants, in a greenhouse...?

Hedychiums don't normally go dormant unless they die back from freezing (like they can here in winter...but they come right back when it warms up). But in your case, with the daylength getting so short as it is now, your plant's growth is going to be slower than if it were Spring or SUmmer.

The leaves may be all brown for a variety of reasons...if those stalks already bloomed, then they are finished completely, and need to be totally removed anyway.

If they got sunburned, and were unbloomed stalks, well, they are not going to grow back.

If the plant was just generally neglected and started to wane, repotting might help, you need to take a look at the rhizomes and make certain they are healthy, but with the coming of winter pretty soon, my bet is you aren;t going to see any major new growth anyway.

I have this ginger, its really pretty.

If it were me, I would just repot it and leave it alone.

o
RE: New Ginger 'Tahitian Flame'

Thank you Bihai,
I think the brown on mine might be coming from the cold weather. We had a slight frost while back and some pretty cold nights now.
The leaves all have brown on them, no flowers stalks at all. Maybe to short of a growing season here in northern IL.

I am not familiar with Gingers. This was a rescue before it went to the compost pile at work.
When do they bloom for you?

I will repot and wait till spring to do any trimming.
Thanks
Katie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here