Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

Hilling edible ginger?

Pyewacket
9 years ago

Thats what these guys say to do.

Of course they are talking about what to do in a large commercial greenhouse setting.

So I have a piece of ginger that has just INSISTED on putting out a shoot. Just a little thing, a little swelling where it was coming out. I noticed this happening 2 months ago, and set it aside meaning to break off a chunk and try planting it.

Well today I found it under something else - and that shoot is now a nice, thick, dark green shoot coming out of a large pink and white swelling coming up from the original rhizome, with some more little bumps on it.

Go figure. In virtually total darkness and absolutely total neglect. This poor little thing DESERVES to live!

OK so I got off my keister and made up a 1:1:1 mix of peat, pine bark mostly-fines, and pumice, put it in a 12" OD 10" ID pot that is about 14" deep, to about within 3" of the top of the pot.

Because I had read that thing about hilling over your ginger. But hilling it up a whole 12" is pretty much out of the question.

Do I need to worry about this at all? I JUST put the ginger in the pot, I could still pull it back out, no harm no foul, and add more mix.

Is leaving 3" or so to "hill up" my edible ginger helpful? Or silly and useless?

EDITED to replace all the places where I said "garlic" but meant "ginger". Why I keep getting those words mixed up is anybody's guess ...

This post was edited by zensojourner on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 2:41

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH