Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmisk

Overwinter potted ginger

msmisk
17 years ago

I'm in zone 7, near Dallas, and have a big variegated ginger in a large ceramic pot. I assume I will need to winter-protect in some way. Can I just wrap the plant when it gets near freezing ? If I just leave it, will the leaves die back and come back next spring ? Should I take it out, put it in a lighter pot that I could actually move, and bring it in during cold spells ?

Comments (7)

• lac1361
    17 years ago

Which variegated ginger are you growing? It makes a difference as to the advice.

Steve

• melissa_thefarm
    17 years ago

I'm wondering how much cold gingers can stand, too, and about my solution. I have a Hedychium, either gardnerianum or coronarium, and had to find a place for it during our long, dark, chilly winters which however don't bring temps much lower than 20F most of the time. But the tall growth is hard to keep in the cold greenhouse where most of my potted plants go. I put it in our bathroom: window with a southern exposure, lots of humidity, and a heater permanently on pilot. Just about jungle conditions. What do you think? Also, I'm thinking about putting some gingers in an enameled steel bathtub the neighbors left behind. Can they stay outside all year long (I certainly can't bring the tub indoors in the winter) if the tub stays in a fairly protected spot? I've tried a couple of Hedychiums in the ground against a wall with a southern exposure, and they hated it, I think because of the soil, which was clay-ey in spite of a lot of amendment.

Feedback is appreciated.

Melissa

• msmisk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm afraid I don't know which variegated ginger I have. I bought it at Home Depot this spring. It has a medium green and light yellow variegated leaf. It doesn't seem to want to get tall - It's about 3 feet tall 4 - 5 feet wide.

• lac1361
    17 years ago

If you got it at HD, them it's probably Alpinia Zerumbet Variegated, aka, variegated shell ginger. Rated for Zone 7. In the ground, probably will get frozen back in your zone but comes back in the spring. Won't get over 4 to 5 feet under that scenario. Blooms on old (2nd year) growth so if it doesn't freeze, it will bloom the following spring to early summer. In a container, I would move it in and out so that I could have blooms the following year.

Steve

• msmisk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Steve, thanks for the probable name and the advice. I would love to see it bloom, so I will definitely bring it in and out. And it's such a gorgeous plant, I'd hate to lose it.

Texas Carol

• lac1361
    17 years ago

Hi Texas Carol,

To validate your ginger, go to one of my favorite tropical nursery websites: www.stokestropicals.com. Click on plants, gingers, alpinia. Look for Alpinia Zerumbet Variegated. Compare that picture to your plant.

Steve

• msmisk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Steve - Yes, that's it !! It's so nice to know exactly which ginger I have, and now I know how to care for it, too.
    That's a very cool website - I will definitely explore further. Thanks for you help.

Texas Carol

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio