Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alpinia roxburghii?

Posted by Bernard_QLD Brisbane Aust (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 8, 03 at 7:13

Does anyone know how the leaves of Alpinia roxburghii look like? I bought one plant with this name but cannot find any useful info on how the plant actually looks like. It has fine (1-2 mm wide) cream coloured lines along the nerves of the leaves, looking a bit similar to A. formosana (spelling?). Are there any other Alpinias that have very regular white/cream lines on the leaves (it is not the variegated Shell ginger, I am sure). Anyone having an idea? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alpinia roxburghii?

Alpinia Sanderae- Striped Ginger

o

The only info I can find is for Hedychium roxburghii but no photos or much of description.
kevin

o

Thanks AmberSky but it is not A.sanderae or vittata. My plant looks more like A. formosana, it has narrow parallel creamish white stripes. Any other suggestions?

o

Hi Bernard, maybee its just another A. formasana.
regards Louis

o

Well, not much information to go by. It is possible that my plant is indeed A. formosana, maybe it was just incorrectly labelled (but why on earth A. roxburghii). Must have another close look at A. formosana in our local Bot. Garden, maybe mine is identical to theirs.

o

Hi Bernard

I bought a plant labeled Alpinia roxburghii from northern NSW. When I researched it was wrongly labeled and is Alpinia formosana, The pin striped ginger.

o

Although there are about 10 or so different variegated Alpinia, I can't think of any that have the same type variegation as A. formosana. Most have an irregular variegation, not the consistantly thin spaced stripes. The link below has some closeups of the foliage of A. formosana. The Alpinia page has some of the other variegates as well.

Tim Chapman

Here is a link that might be useful: Alpinia formosana

o

Thank you all for your comments and help. Since the plant had very recently flowered, it appears to be A. formosana.
Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here